Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Teacher Need Vacation Badly

It's been nearly a year since i've blogged...must have been busy. Well to catch all-ya-all up. I've finally moved out of the dorm into my own apartment. I've become a homeroom teacher, forgotten most of the Japanese (famous of course) that i learned in Akita and had students try to poison me. Good times.

It's been a weird, weird week.

I usually get a ride to school from a buddy of mine. I cruise over around 6, have me some coffee (thank you Costco kirkland brand!) check the news on the computer box then we ride into work. It's a please day to start the day.
Then last Friday. I roll into his house. . . something is strange. There's extra shoes; not just shoes but shoes with tassels and faux crocodile leather. Huh. I look up and low and behold there's unshod feet looking back from the dining room table. Huh.
"Oye Mashu!"
Huh.
Apparently, our Japanese friends Kazuki and Shu had decided to drinking Thursday night... they just never decided to stop. They'd shown up at my buddy's place at 5:30. So Davis made them breakfast and coffee then kicked them out.

The next day, I was heading to Davis's place after school. They're a lot of dogs around here. Most of them aren't huge fans. So when i came across a stray, i was a bit cautious. She was an old Golden Retriever. We just kinda stared at each other for a bit. She wasn't going to bite, so i continued on my way. She started to follow me for a bit. I took a left, she took a left. I took a right, she took a right. I had a new friend. A new friend who wasn't going to leave me alone. To get where i wanted to go, you have to cross a pretty major intersection. I didn't really want my new buddy hit by a truck, so i decided to backtrack to see if i could find her home.
I went back up the hill, meandering the streets and talking to my new BFF. I came across a small garden party. I figured i;d put my non-existent Japanese to the test. However, there was a giajin(foreigner)! Yeah! I told him my dilemma and he relayed to the party goers. No dice.
No worries, the wee doggy and wandered off. Back to Davis's . . . until the Mamasan chases me down. "Tabate? Tabete?" (Do you want something to eat?) And that's how i got a free bbq and a strangers house in Kisurazu. Thanks Magic Mystery Dog!

Finally, and this isn't strange, so much as "Matthew is the coolest person you will ever know".
Summer has finally hit Kisurazu and with a fury. I literally almost vomited in class the other day. Way TOO hot.
So yesterday, in my grammar class i'm hot. Hotter than usual. We've been using A/C for the last couple of days, so being in-class is at least bearable. But not in the grammar class, for some reason. Chisato, one of the students, noticed that i was sweating like several pigs. She informs me the temperature is set to 26c (the other rooms are at 23 or 24). So i give the kiddies their work and truck down to the office to cool things down a bit.
Once again Kanji rears its ugly head! There are arrows, squiggly lines and buttons. When in doubt, or Japan. just start pushing buttons. The light temp number goes down to 23. Yatta! Matthew-sensei has won this round!
I return to the classroom and notice all the kids look like me. I practically slip due to all the sweat on the floor.

"Mr. Halverson, I think you need to turn the a/c back on."
"I did Chisato."
"Why's it hotter?"
"It's not. It can't be i turned it down."
"Something wrong though. We're sweating."
"YEah. well it is summer. Go ahead and turn it down more, if you need to."

Chisato leaves and start helping the kids with their work. Man it's hot. She returns with a glare and folded arms.

"You turned on the heater. . ."

So in the end, the lesson is, Kanji sucks and makes things worse.

Hope everyone is doping well. Sorry i haven't been in touch as much as i used to . Please let me know how you're doing.
M

No comments: